Monday, August 27, 2012

Live Today Like It's Your Last!

photo credit: James Dean/google images.com
 
I have to admit, I don't hear country music too much as I'm always listening to either christian or soft rock, but there is a song that I heard by Tim McGraw call "Live Like You Were Dying"  the lyrics spoke to me - the chorus was this:
 
"I went skydiving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying"
And he said
"Someday I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dying"
It made me think - we should all be doing things now and living like we were dying because we aren't promised a tomorrow.  What would you do if you actually knew your time was up?  Would you laugh more? Forgive more?   Sing and dance and love more? 
 
We all get very busy in our hustle and bustle and we just think - I'll do it tomorrow.  But we never know.  I had a very loving chihuahua puppy I called Chloe. She was my girly girl and would always greet me when I came home, sat in my lap while I watch tv and curled up with me.  I truly loved that pet.  She passed away this past weekend and I've been so lost without her.  With no children of my own, she was a replacement that I could nurture and love and now that is gone and I think, I wish I could have sat with her more the day before, given her a special treat, petted her longer, etc.  It has been a sad time for me.  But it also made me reflect on that song and it made me remember, tomorrow is never promised.  So what can we do especially if money and things don't permit you to really live life like you could if you could?  Well, I personally have to rely on what can I do to make a difference to someone?  It can be so easy.  Compliment a coworker you normally wouldn't, ask for forgiveness from someone you've wronged, buy lunch for an elderly person, a volunteer, or someone out of the blue you see at the restaurant, pay the toll for someone behind you, pack up brown bags with water and fruit and pass them out to those on the street needing food, find someway to enhance someone else's life and you'll see that your life will be enhanced because when you make someone else smile - you'll be smiling yourself.    Be sure to let those around you know how much they mean to you because one just never knows.  Live with no regrets.  Forgive everyone you can - life is too short to hang on to grudges and for things like grudges - well, that can just pull you down and steal your joy.   I miss Chloe with all my heart and I'll never have time back with her.  Put together your bucket list and see what you can cross off, but perhaps make the list more about others than trips and things you can take.  Make it a helping others type of list...like bring fire fighters lunch one day, buy toys and bring it to an orphanage, find a rest home/nursing home and adopt an elderly grandparent there, you get the jest.  Live for others and then you'll live too!  Let me know if you've done anything that has changed your life lately.  I'd love to hear your comments!!
Until next time.....


No comments:

Post a Comment